Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (19): Simon & Schuster Spring 2012 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

It's spring! Finally! This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Simon & Schuster Spring 2012 Catalog:

Black Heart by Holly Black
Date: April 3, 2012
Add to Goodreads

Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy. 
But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.

I've read Black Heart already, the third and final book in the Curse Workers Trilogy, and it was awesome! The alternate universe - where magic exists and is illegal - is just so creative and fun. This series was my first Holly Black read, but it won't be my last.


The Story of Us by Deb Caletti
Date: April 24, 2012
Add to Goodreads

Cricket’s on a self-imposed break from her longtime boyfriend—but she’s picked a bad week to sort out her love life. For one thing, her mother’s romance is taking center stage: After jilting two previous fiancés, her mom is finally marrying Dan Jax, whom Cricket loves. But as wedding attendees arrive for a week of festivities at a guesthouse whose hippie owners have a sweet, sexy son—Ash—complications arise: Cricket’s future stepsisters make it clear they’re not happy about the marriage. An old friend decides this is the week to declare his love for Cricket. Grandpa chooses to reveal a big secret at a family gathering. Dan’s ex-wife shows up. And even the dogs—Cricket’s old, ill Jupiter and Dan’s young, lively Cruiser—seem to be declaring war. While Cricket fears that Dan is in danger of becoming ditched husband-to-be number three, she’s also alarmed by her own desires. Because even though her boyfriend looms large in her mind, Ash is right in front of her....

I confess that I have not yet read anything by Deb Caletti, though I have heard great things about Stay. The Story of Us sounds like a great contemporary with lots of complicated relationships and drama... fun!


City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
Date: May 8, 2012
Add to Goodreads

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing–but so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees. 
No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay away—not from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s dying magic has wrought—Jace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentine’s evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own? 

The Mortal Instruments Series is an old favourite of mine. I cannot wait to catch up with all of Cassandra Clare's marvelous characters! Where will City of Lost Souls go after that crazy cliffhanger in City of Fallen Angels?


Changeling by Philippa Gregory
Date: May 29, 2012
Add to Goodreads

Italy, 1453. Seventeen-year-old Luca Vero is brilliant, gorgeous—and accused of heresy. Cast out of his religious order for using the new science to question old superstitious beliefs, Luca is recruited into a secret sect: The Order of the Dragon, commissioned by Pope Nicholas V to investigate evil and danger in its many forms, and strange occurrences across Europe, in this year—the end of days. Isolde is a seventeen-year-old girl shut up in a nunnery so she can’t inherit any of her father’s estate. As the nuns walk in their sleep and see strange visions, Isolde is accused of witchcraft—and Luca is sent to investigate her, but finds himself plotting her escape. Despite their vows, despite themselves, love grows between Luca and Isolde as they travel across Europe with their faithful companions, Freize and Ishraq. The four young people encounter werewolves, alchemists, witches, and death-dancers as they head toward a real-life historical figure who holds the boundaries of Christendom and the secrets of the Order of the Dragon. The first in a series, this epic and richly detailed drama is grounded in historical communities and their mythic beliefs. It includes a medieval map of Europe that will track their journey; and the interior will include relevant decorative elements as well as an interior line illustration. And look for a QR code that links to a note from the author with additional, detailed information about the setting and the history that informed the writing. With Philippa Gregory’s trademark touch, this novel deftly brings the past—and its salacious scandals—vividly and disturbingly to life.

Philippa Gregory is a popular adult historical author, though I haven't read anything of hers. I'm curious to see if her writing will translate well to her first ever YA series. Changeling is historical fantasy, which is a genre that I love.


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Simon & Schuster Spring 2012 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Simon & Schuster Spring 2012 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?


39 comments :

  1. Ooh, wow, I think Phillipa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl is addicting as hell so I'm curious to read her turn in YA. Hopefully it's just as juicy! ;)

    I'm excited to read Black Heart, too! But...I need to get around to Red Glove first, ha!

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really. That's exciting, I hope it turns out good. I'm a bit wary of adult turned YA authors though... I haven't been too fond of some of the books of theirs I have read.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely waiting for City of Lost Souls! Oh my goodness... That cliffhanger just about killed me. I love the cover for The Story of Us, although the title always reminds me of a Taylor Swift song :) I haven't read any of the books in the Curse Worker series, although I've heard that they're really great.

    Awesome picks & thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah now that you mention it, it is totally the title of a Taylor Swift song! That cliffhanger had to be one of the worst ever. But not too long to wait now and we'll have it in our hands!

      Delete
  3. So cool that Philippa Gregory is venturing into YA. I really like her books. And I can't wait for Black Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear! I have heard great things about her books too, so I'm definitely interested!

      Delete
  4. Definitely looking forward to The City of Lost Souls! That cliffhanger! And I love Simon! I've been meaning to check out Holly Black's books. The Story of Us sounds like one big drama mess! LOL But sounds interesting. Great picks!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Simon too (and all of her characters, really!)! I would recommend the Curse Workers series if you enjoy The Mortal Instruments. Both have interesting characters and great humour.

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited for the Deb Caletti novel. I love her.

    Great picks! I'm definitely looking forward to these.

    And I'm also interested in seeing how Philippa does in YA.

    Here's my WoW/WWW post

    Happy Reading!

    ~Danica Page
    Taking It One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear great things about Deb Caletti. Contemporary isn't really my thing, but I kind of want to branch out in my reading more, and The Story Of Us could be a good place to start!

      Delete
  6. So excited to read Deb Caletti's new book! I loved Stay, and this new one sounds just as awesome as that. And Black Heart! I loved The Curse Worker series and I can't wait for this book to come out :) Great pick!

    Check out our WoW picks this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear good things about Deb Caletti - gets me excited! And Black Heart was a great conclusion!

      Delete
  7. It's amazing all the books I find that I have never heard anything about previously too. It's a nice way to find out about new books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED White Cat. Gotta gotta get the rest of the series.

    Side note: Do you like the new covers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them. I just don't like how they weren't kept consistent. It would have been fine if they decided just to redesign the the paperbacks with the new covers, but to switch covers for the last hardback is annoying because I'm one of those people who is anal about having matching covers. I wish publishers wouldn't do that!

      Delete
  9. Wow some great books it looks like this week.

    My WoW@BloodSweatandBooks Or Check Out My International Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really excited for Changeling! I haven't ready many of her adult books, just The Other Boleyn Girl but I adored that one and can't wait to see what she does with this YA Book. And of course, I need my Jace and Clary fix!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw and loved the movie, The Other Boleyn Girl, so maybe I should check out the book because it seems people really love it!

      Delete
  11. City of Lost Souls looks awesome! I need to start the Curse Workers series! Great picks!
    My WoW: http://readerbenji.blogspot.com/2012/03/waiting-on-wednesday_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very, very awesome picks! Especially dying to read CoLS and The Story of Us. Hope we'll enjoy all of them once they're released. :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh Black Heart is going to be awesome, I just know it. And City of Lost Souls-I love it already haha. That series is one of my absolute faves.
    I really like Caletti's books! Stay was the last one I read and enjoyed and this one sounds like it'll be entertaining for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty much a given that CIty of Lost Souls and Black Heart will be awesome because I'm such a fan of the author and their characters!

      Delete
  14. I love how you pick from the publisher's catalogues! That's such a good idea. And oh my gosh I can't wait for City of Lost Souls, either!!! :)

    My Wow

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It seems like an obvious thing to do now that I've been doing it for awhile...

      Delete
  15. Amazing choices! So many great books to look forward to. Please check out my Waiting on Wednesday!

    Anna @ Wandering Librarians

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb Caletti's books covers are always amazing and gorgeous! And, if I remember correctly, Stay has a little bit of a supernatural feel to it towards the end, so you might like it.

    Damn that cliffie in CoFA! I knew I should have waited until all the books were out to read them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I had no idea that there was anything supernatural about Stay! You're right, that does intrigue me all the more. I love when books bridge realism and fantasy.

      haha, at least you won't have long to wait until CoLS!

      Delete
  17. Oh, I didn't know Philippa Gregory wrote YA now too! I haven't read anything of hers either but I'm curious to see how her foray turns out. The book certainly sounds interesting. I've been meaning to read the Curse Workers series, the re-designed covers are quite catching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too. I have to say, I am not often impressed with adult authors who try to make their way in YA. From what I understand, they write great adult books, but I feel like it doesn't quite translate to YA or something.

      I do like the re-designed covers too. I just wish they hadn't changed them part way through the series. It would've been better had they kept the hardbacks with the old design and the paperbacks with the new design.

      Delete
  18. I'll be honest and say I don't really enjoy Philippa Gregory's adult fiction but I have to say the synopsis of her YA book sounds fantastic! I'll have to grab that one from the library. And Black Heart....sigh...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are the first person to disagree with the masses about liking Philippa Gregory's adult books. To each his own! But her YA book is for sure intriguing!

      Delete
  19. S & S certainly has some great stuff coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really have to start reading the Curse Workers series because it sounds amazing! I prefer the older covers though ..
    I can't wait for City of Lost Sould to be released too !!!
    Great picks Aylee !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the old ones too. They had a definite mafia feel to them which was perfect. Not to mention the colours were perfect - these new ones have colours that have nothing to do with anything!

      Delete
  21. I had no idea that Phlippa Gregory was coming out with a YA book. I know that she's got a reputation for writing adult historicals so I definitely want to check out Changeling! Thanks for putting it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't know Phillipa Gregory was tackling YA! I hope she does well, though I admit I have never read her books as they tend to be humongous!

    Also, The Story of Us sounds good.

    Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I believe her YA debut is quite a bit shorter - under 300 pages if I recall!

      Delete
  23. I didn't know Gregory was writing a YA either! I haven't read anything by her. The book looks good. I'm adding it to my ever growing list. lol Love the cover and the era.

    ReplyDelete