Home       About Me       Review Archive

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review: The Girl Who Was On Fire edited by Leah Wilson


Publisher: Smart Pop
Published: April 5, 2011
Pages: 210
Source: Won from A BookLover's Diary (Thank you!!)
Rating: 4 Stars



Katniss Everdeen's adventures may have come to an end, but her story continues to blaze in the hearts of millions worldwide. 
In The Girl Who Was on Fire, thirteen YA authors take you back to Panem with moving, dark, and funny pieces on Katniss, the Games, Gale and Peeta, reality TV, survival, and more. From the trilogy's darker themes of violence and social control to fashion and weaponry, the collection's exploration of the Hunger Games reveals exactly how rich, and how perilous, protagonist Katniss' world really is. 
The Girl Who Was On Fire covers all three books in the Hunger Games trilogy.

The Girl Who Was on Fire is an anthology featuring essays on The Hunger Games Trilogy. I was amazed at the variety of subjects of essays presented (and keep in mind that I read an ARC version - the final movie version has 3 additional essays). The essay topics ranged from the light and silly - topics about fashion and reality TV and "Teams" - to more serious and weighty - topics about the ethics of genetic mutation and politics and the importance of community.

I appreciated how thoughtful the essays were. It was evident in every essay that the authors did their research. They understood the themes and messages in The Hunger Games Trilogy and effectively and correctly referenced specific scenes and quotes of the books in their essays. Not only did it seem like they were well versed in their topics, but they are very clearly fans of the trilogy, which is even more important and crucial to the success of their essays.

The Girl Who Was On Fire is not a critical read by any means. However, if you are a super fan of The Hunger Games and like analyzing and discussing aspects of your readings, then you may find that The Girl Who Was On Fire will enrich your experience of the series.

Interesting in getting the chance to read this book? There is still time to enter my giveaway to win a copy of The Girl Who Was On Fire, as well as some Hunger Games merchandise!

In other, related news: how FREAKING EXCITED is everybody for The Hunger Games movie this Friday?! I would love to know when/if you are going to see it, if you'll be dressing up (I plan on wearing my mockingjay pin and a braid, in honour of Katniss), what scenes you're most excited for, etc. Let me know in the comments!

Other Reviews:
A Blog About Nothing
A BookLover's Diary
That Hapa Chick

24 comments :

  1. Hmmm...I wish they had something like this for Twilight - and not just a book of essays by scholars dissing the book.

    Have you heard of a book like this for HP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of anything exactly like this for HP, but there are some similar things. I hope there hasn't been a book of Twilight-dissing essays! I'm not its biggest fan, but that's kind of rude.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a Twilight fan either, but there's too much dissing of that book going on everywhere. To each her own, huh?
    I'm SOOOO freaking jealous of everyone who gets to see HG on Friday, it isn't releasing in my city for a few more weeks- WAIL. But maybe it's a good thing- I shall have to learn how to do the proper Katniss braid. Ooh, and I have a HG t-shirt and Mockinjay pin. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought it was silly when people get so involved with dissing a book, or anything for that matter, and thinking no one should ever read it because it's crap. How does it affect them if other people like it? I just don't know why people care so much.

      Aw! I'm sorry to hear that. But good for you for looking on the bright side! I have no idea how to do that braid that Katniss has in the movie... I think I'll just do a simple one :)

      Delete
  3. SO VERY EXCITED AYLEE!!!! I'm abandoning work and going in the afternoon tomorrow to hopefully avoid some of the crowds, and I can barely deal with these last 24 hours I have to wait. I had no idea this book existed but I think I'd like to read all the essays, so thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yeah I wish I could've avoided the crowds too because it was insane! And no problem! :)

      Delete
  4. I read this one last year too and thought it was really well done, I loved that the authors were such big fans and that they picked on so many topics I hadn't even thought of. It definitely leaves you thinking about the ethics part of the story and wanting to read it all over again. Grea review!! I can't wait for the movie!!!! So excited, unfortunately I have to wait to go see it on Saturday but I'll be watching it twice that day. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was so impressed with the variety and creativity of the essays! The essays on the ethics of genetic mutations and torture really made me think, which is the best part of reading a good essay.

      Delete
  5. I remember I saw this book around a while ago, and at first I was a bit confused by it, but I'm glad you ended up loving it so much! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha yeah, maybe it wasn't marketed well or something.

      Delete
  6. I haven't seen this book, but I saw a Hunger Games Companion that looked fascinating, all about the ideas behind the book, relating it to the world today and how the world might have turned into the Panem of the books. I think that book would be interesting from an intellectual as well as a fangirling point of view.

    Re. the Twilight-bashing book, I just don't get it, and I speak as someone who has no problem snarking about Twilight. But why would you contribute to a book if you hate the subject? *bafflement.*

    Looking forward to seeing the movie next Weds. I'll be plaiting my hair a la Katniss, but I always wear my hair like that so nothing new there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, the Hunger Games Companion sounded good, I thought. Which was the one that had contributions by Suzanne Collins? Or did any of them? I'm not sure, I'd have to look into it.

      Yeah, I really don't get why people bash stuff when it really has no affect on them. People just like to get worked up over things and don't even realize that the things they are getting worked up over aren't important.

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to pick this one up. I'm glad to know it's so insightful!

    I'm so freaking excited. I'm going to the midnight show tonight!!! I can't freaking wait! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I was surprised by how insightful and well done it was. It definitely got me thinking!

      Delete
  8. I really want to read this book. Definitely entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AAAH I want to read this one. I just watched the movie last night and it is EPIC! Seriously the best book to movie EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it sooo good?! Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was a pretty dang good adaptation!

      Delete
  10. I still haven't read Books 2 and 3 yet, Aylee. Bad me, I know; but I'm hoping to get to them this summer when I have more reading time. The movie is only based on the first book, right? I don't want to watch it and have the books get wrecked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, the movie covers only The Hunger Games. It was quite good, I recommend watching it!

      Delete
  11. This looks like a lot of fun to read. May have to borrow it from the library sometime just for fun. Also, I saw the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you're the type who likes to discuss book topics in fandoms or book groups or stuff, then I recommend this one!

      Delete
  12. Ooh, I didn't realise these were essays! I thought it was a critical approach or movie companion to THG! I love that you said they were clearly fans of the trilogy because I think those are the best essays, there's so much passion in them. Hehe I just got back from seeing the film twice and it didn't disappoint. Hope you enjoyed the movie and loved your movie outfit for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there is a movie companion, as well. It's hard to keep up with all the different THG products out there! Yeah, it was obviously crucial that these people were true fans who had read the book multiple times to truly be able to speak for it. So I'm glad they were!

      Thanks :) I liked my outfit and so did a lot of people.

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you liked this one! I really enjoyed the movie and, yes, I'm tempted to watch it again. I loved watching the story come to life - they did a wonderful job translating the book for screen. I can't wait for Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete