Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday (18): Hachette Spring 2012 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which an upcoming, eagerly anticipated release is highlighted on the blog.

Is anyone else tired of winter and excited for spring to finally get here? I know I am - not just for the weather to change, but also for the great books that will be released in the springtime. This week, I've chosen a few picks from the Hachette Spring 2012 Catalogue:


172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad
Date: April 17, 2012
Add to Goodreads

Three teenagers are going on the trip of a lifetime. Only one is coming back. It's been more than forty years since NASA sent the first men to the moon, and to grab some much-needed funding and attention, they decide to launch an historic international lottery in which three lucky teenagers can win a week-long trip to moon base DARLAH 2 - a place that no one but top government officials even knew existed until now. The three winners, Antoine, Midori, and Mia, come from all over the world. But just before the scheduled launch, the teenagers each experience strange, inexplicable events. Little do they know that there was a reason NASA never sent anyone back there until now - a sinister reason. But the countdown has already begun...

What is going on with this freaky cover? It's almost as awesome as the premise of 172 Hours on the Moon. What on earth could this "sinister reason" be for sending three teenagers to the moon on vacation?



Revived by Cat Patrick
Date: May 8, 2012
Add to Goodreads

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.
A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency’s true goals, she realizes she’s at the center of something much larger — and more sinister — than she ever imagined.


I have not gotten around to reading Forgotten by Cat Patrick, though I've heard very good things about it and its interesting premise. Revived also has quite the intriguing premise. I'd be interested in knowing how Cat Patrick explains the science behind bringing people back from the dead.



A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger
Date: June 5, 2012
Add to Goodreads

Whitley Johnsons dream summer with her divorce dad has turned into a nightmare. She’s just met his new fiancee and her kids. The fiancee’s son? Whitley’s one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin’ great.
Worse, she totally doesn’t fit in with her dad’s perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn’t even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she’s ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn’t “do” friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn’t her stepbrother... at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together.


Kody Keplinger is another author that I have yet to read, despite hearing amazing things. Contemporaries are definitely outside my comfort zone, but I would like to break out of the box for A Midsummer's Nightmare because it sounds authentic and raw.



The Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Date: June 7, 2012
Add to Goodreads

A mysterious toymaker who lives as a recluse in an old mansion, surrounded by the mechanical beings he has created ...an enigma surrounding strange lights that shine through the mists that envelop the small island on which the old lighthouse stands...a shadowy creature that hides deep in the woods...these are the elements of a mystery that bind will bind 14-year-old Irene to Ismael during one magical summer spent in the Blue Bay. Her mother has taken a job as a housekeeper for the toymaker, Lazarus, but his house contains more secrets than Irene and Ishmael have bargained for.

I adore MG, but don't read nearly enough of it. The Watcher in the Shadows reminds me very much of The Invention of Hugo Cabret, with the "mysterious toymaker" who creates mechanical beings, so I am hoping it will be just as good!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Hachette Spring 2012 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Hachette Spring 2012 Catalogue that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

43 comments :

  1. I've been dying for Revived! The other three are new to me but 172 Hours On the Moon sounds amazing!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great picks! Thanks for sharing :)

    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely excited for Revived and A Midsummer's Nightmare! Can't wait for them to be released! Great picks :)

    Check out my WoW picks for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revived sounds great. Added to Goodreads, thanks for picking this one. I'm now your newest follower :D

    Here's my choice if you would like to check it out...

    Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm wary of 172 Hours because the premise seems so completely ridiculous, but I am a bit intrigued by the sinister-ness. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of sending teenagers to the moon...for publicity? I don't know, lol. The other three books you featured sound amazing, though. :)

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree that it is a bit of a silly premise... which is why I am all the more curious to read about it!

      Delete
  6. These are really awesome picks! I'm especially waiting for REVIVED, since I loooved Cat Patrick's FORGOTTEN. :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't really like Forgotten so I won't be reading Revived though I have to admit that the cover looks gorgeous !!
    I haven't read anything by Kody Keplinger either though I've heard her books were amazing .. I really can't wait to read some reviews on A Midsummer's Nightmare !!
    Great picks Aylee !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. I would like to try out one of Cat Patrick's books myself before giving up on her. I'm excited to try Kody Keplinger too!

      Delete
  8. I'm tired of winter and it hasn't even begun yet haha. Summer's just finishing here, but lately it's getting colder and me no likey.

    Eeee! I'll be starting Revived tomorrow - so excited! It sounds amazing and I absolutely loved Forgotten, such a beautifully written novel <3

    I'm also crazy excited for 172 Hours on the Moon. Such a cool and fascinating premise - WANT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you weird Aussie-you. I heard a few mixed things about Forgotten, but I think I'd really like the premise and the writing! The premise of 172 Hours on the Moon is kind of insane!

      Delete
  9. Wow, the first one is probably going on my wishlist. What the heck could that sinister reason be? And what's up with the cover?! I really like it, though. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :)

    My WoW | International giveaway

    Happy reading! (:
    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is so freaky! I hope the book is just as much so.

      Delete
  10. Revive and A Midsummer's Nightmare? I'd do just about anything for a chance to read both. They look so amazing. I haven't read anything by Cat Patrick yet, but Revive looks like a great place to start. And I love Kody Keplinger! Her writing is always so genuine, insightful, and witty, and I just love it. Great picks!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that about Kody Keplinger's writing! I'll be looking forward to finding out about it myself.

      Delete
  11. I haven't heard of any of these. The Water sounds fantastic!

    Our WoW is at Book Sake. –Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. 172 Hours sounds awesome! I am definitely adding that to my wishlist.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Watchers in the Shadows sounds good, a little creepy.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooooooo the last one sounds all good and shrouded in mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I first started reading contemporaries, I felt the same as you Aylee. I felt like they were outside my comfort zone. I mean, why would I want to read about RL? But now I'm addicted to them. And, I think starting with a Keplinger novel just might light that fire in you too. :)

    I was a fan of Patrick's debut, and Revived sounds pretty chilling! I think I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. that first cover is going to give me nightmares, I just know it.

      Delete
    2. haha, yeah why would I want to read about RL? But I have to say that the plots of the contemporaries I've read are definitely more exciting and drama-filled than my life, so that keeps them interesting. I really would like to introduce a bit more variety into my reading... I think I might be getting a bit bored with all the dystopian I read (gasp!)!

      I really hope the plot in the first one is truly as creepy as that cover!

      Delete
  16. These all sound great! I hadn't heard of any of them, so thanks for putting them on my radar! I can't wait for Spring. It's starting to warm up here where I live, and I am really excited for summer. I love warm weather :D

    Anyways, great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, yup! It's finally starting to warm up here too.

      Delete
  17. I see a suspenseful theme this week!!! Fun choices!! :-) Hey... I'm a new follower!! How cool is that?! -Burgandy Ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty suspenseful, you're right!

      Delete
  18. Um. Yes to all please Aylee! Especially Revived and A Midsummer's Nightmare, can't wait for both of those! Kody's books are always tricky, she writes characters that are really unlikeable at times (and based on that synopsis it seems Whitney will be no different) and she's rather blunt with the sex and drinking, but I like the honesty in her stories and ultimately she makes me relate to characters I normally wouldn't relate to. Can't wait to see what you think of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting to hear. Reading that, I can't imagine being able to relate to characters like that, so she must be pretty good at what she does to get you to like them. I love that the characters seem legit and like they're the furthest thing from Mary Sues.

      Delete
  19. They all sound like good picks, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great set of future reads. I think I like a Midsummer's Nightmare best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to say that I've had my eye on Midsumer Nightmare! it sounds like a really cool read. Revived too!
    Though I gotta say that I find the cover of 172 hrs creeptastic

    Alex @ A Girl, Books and Other Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like being creeped out when reading!

      Delete
  22. The first book: that cover is só scary.
    The second book: nice, like that one.

    You can find my pick on my blog if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  23. he Watcher in the Shadows by Carlos Ruiz Zafon/sounds good and new2me
    gr8 wow

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just added all of these to my list, 172 Hours sounds sooo great, I can't wait to read it!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  25. There are all awesome! 172 Hours on the Moon sounds really original too! Awesome picks!! I <3 Hachette!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can't wait for Revived! The watcher in the shadows sounds amazing, too. :) I'm off to add it to my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really want to read Revives and 172 Hours on the Moon, although this cover kind of creeps me out! Great picks!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  28. Eeeeekk 172 hours look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These look good! I haven't heard of The Watcher In The Shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yay for A Midsummer's Nightmare! I'm a great Kody Keplinger fan:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. 172 Hours sounds fantastic. I need to keep my eye out for reviews of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't seen any yet so I'm curious.

      Delete