Home       About Me       Review Archive

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: A Million Suns (Across the Universe #2) by Beth Revis


Publisher: Penguin
Published: January 10, 2012
Pages: 386
Source: Bought
Rating: 4 Stars


Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. 
It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies. 
But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart. 

In short: I literally gasped out loud several times at the exciting plot and surprise reveals in A Million Suns by Beth Revis.
Across the Universe, the first in Beth Revis' series, was such an exciting and fun read. It seemed like with every chapter, there would be some sort of surprise or reveal about the deep, dark secrets of the ship, Godspeed, or the people on it. So I was a little apprehensive going into A Million Suns. I mean, with every secret seemingly revealed in Across the Universe, what's left for the characters to uncover?

Well, as it turns out, a whole heck of a lot. I literally gasped out loud a few times while reading. It occurs to me how very, very much planning Beth Revis would have had to put into creating the Across the Universe Trilogy. Every reveal and clue always seem carefully and assuredly put into place for the maximum entertainment of the reader. And I have no doubt Beth Revis will continue to bring the big surprises in the final book, Shades of Earth, even though there doesn't seem like anything more to be revealed.

I didn't quite like A Million Suns as much as Across the Universe, though. There were a few plot holes that bothered me. In A Million Suns, Amy is sent on a scavenger hunt by a certain character - who I will not name to avoid spoilers - to find an important message left to her through a series of many, many tailor-made clues. It was completely unnecessary for said character to have left so many clues for Amy, when they were already tailor-made for her. As it is, Amy spends the entire book hunting down these clues for this critical message when a few clues and less time would have sufficed, so that was pretty silly.

Still, even a few plot holes couldn't stop me from loving A Million Suns. An amazing thriller with fascinating and exciting world-building, A Million Suns is an excellent sequel and a must-read. I can't believe we have to wait so long until Shades of Earth (to be released January 2013)!

Previously, my review for Across the Universe.

Other Reviews:
The Bookworm is Here!
Cozy Up With A Good Read
YA Book Queen

Author Links:
Website
Blog
Twitter
Goodreads


34 comments :

  1. Good to hear that you liked it! I recently read Across the Universe and wasn't the greatest fan, so I'm not sure whether I'll be continuing on with the series or not :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, too bad! A book is never going to be unanimously liked though.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Across the Universe yet, probably because I have a thing against all things space (except for The Hitchhiker's Guide which is just fantastic) but I might try this based on your review. On a random note, thanks for putting Patrick Ness on my radar, I am officially a huge fan of his Chaos Walking trilogy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend Across the Universe, even if you're not a huge sci fi fan. It's more sci fi lite, I think. And yay for converting people!

      Delete
    2. Also, I can't believe I've never read A Hitchhiker's Guide...

      Delete
  3. Sadly I haven't read this series yet. I keep meaning to, I swear! Great review though. Looks like I'll have to get on this bandwagon soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like that with probably a majority of series. There is just not enough time to read them all even if I really, really want to!

      Delete
  4. Amazing review, Aylee! I must get to ATU soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I'm reading this now! Only a few chapters in and there's already a shocker. Can't wait to see what else is revealed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Beth Revis really wastes no time, does she? Just, BAM!

      Delete
  6. I've heard there are secrets galore in this second book and that's really exciting for me:) Makes me want to run to the bookstore this minute and pick it up! I'm not sure what to think of the scavenger hunt, I'm not a fan when things are tossed in unnecessarily, but everything else about this one sounds fantastic. Thanks for the review Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought that entire plot was silly - though sort of entertaining at times - but it certainly didn't stop me from LOVING this book! I can only wonder, what secrets are there left to be revealed in the last book?

      Delete
  7. I started Across the Universe last year, but couldn't get into it. I promised myself to return to it someday. Maybe this would be a good series for me to try on audiobook, my new addiction. LOL

    That mountain of clue does sound pretty silly, and I see myself getting really annoyed with them already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the audiobook is read by Lauren Ambrose, who played Claire on Six Feet Under (if you've ever seen that). Anyways, I love her, so I'd be interested in listening to the audiobook, as well.

      Delete
  8. I still need to read this! My library is lame and hasn't ordered it yet so I still haven't had the chance to. I can't wait though! Even with a few plot holes I'm sure I'll love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that sucks! That must be agonizing for you, haha. And yeah, the plot holes didn't bug me all that much.

      Delete
  9. I just skimmed your review since I haven't read Across the Universe yet. I need to. I started reading it a while back but wasn't in the mood. I want to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to! I don't think you'd regret it... as long as you're in the right mood.

      Delete
  10. Ahh :) SO happy to hear you enjoyed it Aylee!! I never realized it but you are right about that specific plot hole, hmm, it does seem a bit silly. But I agree - overall it's just so amazing how every reveal comes together! Plus the fact that the reader is bound to gasp. Loved the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't deny it - even though that entire plot was a bit unnecessarily long, it was still pretty fun trying to solve the clues along with Amy! Beth Revis is just a master at that kind of thing - it's why her books are so addicting!

      Delete
  11. I kind of skimmed the first few pages of Across the Universe but just couldn't get into it. But, I love it when authors reveal things slowly so that it gives you a chance to see if you're smarter than the characters. In my case that's usually not true :) Glad you enjoyed this one, Aylee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yeah it was pretty fun seeing if I could guess what the clue meant before Amy got it. And I did a few times! I also guessed the identity of the murderer correctly. But thankfully, it wasn't as obvious as the murder mystery from the first book.

      Delete
  12. I'm reading this book now and I'm a little skeptical about the scavenger hunt, but I look forward to getting more of the mystery. I'm glad you liked it despite the plot holes. Is it really that long of a wait before the next book? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the scavenger hunt was pretty unnecessary, but it was pretty fun, at least. And yeah, that's the bad part about reading it so soon after it's released - we have to wait a year now!

      Delete
  13. I really have to purchase a copy of Across the Universe because this sci-fi series sounds beyond awesome !! Glad you enjoyed this one Aylee ;)!Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! Borrow it if you aren't sure you'll like it.

      Delete
  14. Uh! I was sure I had commented on this review! :( My interent is playing games with me.

    Anyway, I like the idea of Across the Universe and a Million Suns, and I love that you found the second one still solid, even if you didn't love it as much as the first book.
    I just kind of feel like I should wait for the series to be over so I Can read them one after the other :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that happens to me too!

      Yup, I kind of wish I had waited... it would've been nice to read them back to back so I wouldn't forget anything because there is just so much that goes on in these books!

      Delete
  15. I agree about the clues, but I through enjoyed the book! It's terrific. There are a lot of moments that made me gasp too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thankfully there was no way that such a small quibble was going to stop me from thinking this book was fantastic!

      Delete
  16. Friend on Goodreads sent me recommendations for this series a long time ago, but I still did not start it. Shame on me. But I heard only good things about it. Great pick!

    regards,
    rowena of Beef Jerky

    ReplyDelete