Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday: Penguin Spring 2016 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Penguin Spring 2016 Catalog:

Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
Date: March 22, 2016
Add to Goodreads

Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.
Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.
What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.

Let's all just take a moment to admire this breathtaking cover. The illustrations and typography alone are enough to get me to read Wink Poppy Midnight. But it should be pointed out that the synopsis is plenty intriguing as well!


The Last Star (The 5th Wave #3) by Rick Yancey
Date: May 24, 2016
Add to Goodreads

We’re here, then we’re gone, and that was true before they came. That’s always been true. The Others didn’t invent death; they just perfected it. Gave death a face to put back in our face, because they knew that was the only way to crush us. It won’t end on any continent or ocean, no mountain or plain, jungle or desert. It will end where it began, where it had been from the beginning, on the battlefield of the last beating human heart.
Master storyteller Rick Yancey invokes triumph, loss, and unrelenting action as the fate of the planet is decided in the conclusion to this epic series.

I still need to catch up and read book 2, The Infinite Sea, in this series before the last book, The Last Star, comes out, but I can still remember how INTENSE The 5th Wave was. Rick Yancey is without a doubt one of my all-time favourite authors!


Lotus and Thorn by Sara Wilson Etienne
Date: June 14, 2016
Add to Goodreads

Ravaged by a plague known as Red Death, the planet Gabriel, a former colony of Earth, is a barren wasteland. Since being abandoned by Earth 500 years ago, resources are scarce and life is cheap. To stay alive, the survivors, the Citizens, scavenge the remains of a now dead city, trading for food with the resource-rich Curadores, the only other survivors on Gabriel. Every old computer, every piece of wire, every scrap of metal counts. To steal is the ultimate sin. So when tough-as-nails seventeen-year-old Leica is caught doing just that, she’s exiled and left to the mercy of Gabriel’s unforgiving desert for the rest of her life.
While in exile, Leica discovers a mysterious shuttle, which may not only lead her home, but even more impossible—reestablish contact with Earth. Then Red Death rears its head again, killing her entire work crew, leaving Leica all alone until a handsome Curador offers her refuge in the Dome—the only place on Gabriel untouched by Red Death, where a decadent and sultry life awaits. But there’s a catch: Leica can only enter the Dome as his concubine—his Kisaeng. When a rogue group of Citizens see their chance for revolution in Leica’s good fortune, she finds herself unraveling a deadly mystery with chilling answers to the true origin of Red Death and the reason Earth really abandoned them so long ago.

Oooh intriguing, no?? This synopsis hints at so many mysterious happenings that I can't help but want to read Lotus and Thorn right away!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Penguin Spring 2016 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Penguin Spring 2016 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

17 comments :

  1. Excited for all of these!
    http://lovesbooksreview.blogspot.com/2016/02/waiting-on-wednesday-dead-girls-society.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penguin has too much goodness coming out this year. I can't keep up. LOL. Wink Poppy Midnight was absolutely fantastic and so trippy.:D I am dying to read Lotus & Thorn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lotus and Thorn looks really good. the other ones sound really interesting as well.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wink Poppy Midnight has a gorgeous cover but I'm not really sure about the book itself. Will probably have to wait for some reviews to come in. I'm still trying to decide if I want to continue with The 5th Wave series. The first book was OK but so not near the hype it received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I always like to wait for reviews - but from what I understand WPM is getting some pretty good ones.

      Delete
  5. The Last Star is one of my most anticipated reads this year! Like the other two picks as well.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wink Poppy Midnight sounds promising but I detect shades of a possible love-triangle...so despite my initial impulse to instantly add it to my tbr shelf, I think I'll wait until I can read some early reviews. I actually still need to even start The Fifth Wave but it's on the old reading list :) Lotus and Thorn is a new one to me but WOW! That sounds awesome! Thanks for bringing it to my attention my friend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, the accursed love triangle! Hopefully we'll get to see lots of positive reviews for WPM soon.

      Delete
  7. The summary on Wink Poppy Midnight is pretty vague, but it's receiving a lot of hype. I'm really interested to know more about it because it's so mysterious. The cover is gorgeous! I'm also looking forward to Lotus and Thorn. It looks crazy good as well. Here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is vague! Maybe that's part of the reason I'm so intrigued...

      Delete
  8. Lotus and Thorn sounds pretty awesome, I'll be looking forward to that one now!

    Leeanna.me: WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving the cover of Wink Poppy Midnight. Definitely checking that out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Wink book sounds interesting. So mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really really want to read Wink Poppy Midnight. It sounds great and I totally agree with you, it has a lovely cover. And that typography - so pretty!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome picks this week Aylee :D Thank you for sharing about these lovely books. <3 I hope you will love them all. Ahh. The Last Star. I also haven't read book two yet :) But soooon. I also loved book one so much. <3 It was awesome :) Happy reading sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to finally read THE 5TH WAVE. :P Now that the movie is in theatres, I really need to get to it! Then I can start thinking about reading its sequels. :P

    I'm definitely intrigued by the other two books, too. I'm seriously awed by how strange the character names are in WINK POPPY MIDNIGHT though...Poppy I get, but Wink and Midnight? I guess with celebrity babies with names like North and Apple it isn't that far-fetched, but still. :P The story does sound intriguing though. :)

    LOTUS AND THORN is new to me, and it sounds interesting, but I think I'm going to pass on it for now. I'm planning to read Pierce Brown's RED RISING trilogy soon, so I think one Mars-centric series is enough for a little bit. :)

    Thanks for sharing your Penguin picks, Eilidh! :)

    Ambur, Burning Impossibly Bright

    ReplyDelete