Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday: HarperCollins Spring 2016 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the HarperCollins Spring 2016 Catalog:

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
Date: June 7, 2016
Add to Goodreads

The city of Verity has been overrun with monsters, born from the worst of human evil. In North Verity, the Corsai and the Malchai run free. Under the rule of Callum Harker, the monsters kill any human who has not paid for protection. In the South, Henry Flynn hunts the monsters who cross the border into his territory, aided by the most dangerous and darkest monsters of them all—the Sunai, dark creatures who use music to steal their victim’s souls.
As one of only three Sunai in existence, August Flynn has always wanted to play a bigger role in the war between the north and the south. When the chance arises to keep an eye on Kate Harker, daughter of the leader of North Verity, August jumps on it.
When Kate discovers August’s secret, the pair find themselves running for their lives and battling monsters from both sides of the wall. As the city dissolves into chaos, it’s up to them to foster a peace between monsters and humans.

How does Victoria Schwab come up with all these unique fantastical worlds?! I swear her imagination knows no bounds. And as a reader, I feel lucky that I get to benefit from that. Very intrigued by This Savage Song!


My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
Date: July 7, 2016
Add to Goodreads

For fans of The Princess Bride comes the comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey.
Lady Jane Grey, sixteen, is about to be married to a total stranger—and caught up in an insidious plot to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But that’s the least of Jane’s problems. She’s about to become Queen of England. Like that could go wrong.

Last year, I got to see a ton of graffiti inscribed into cell walls of the Tower of London on behalf of Lady Jane Grey, the Nine-Day Queen (she was executed when Queen (Bloody) Mary I came into power). So I'm definitely curious to see this take on her life. My Lady Jane has three authors - Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows - which I also find interesting: how on earth does the writing process work when there are three authors writing one point of view??


Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
Date: June 14, 2016
Add to Goodreads

The only life seventeen-year-old Kol knows is hunting at the foot of the Great Ice with his brothers. But food is becoming scarce, and without another clan to align with, Kol, his family, and their entire group are facing an uncertain future.
Traveling from the south, Mya and her family arrive at Kol’s camp with a trail of hurt and loss behind them, and hope for a new beginning. When Kol meets Mya, her strength, independence, and beauty instantly captivate him, igniting a desire for much more than survival.
Then on a hunt, Kol makes a grave mistake that jeopardizes the relationship that he and Mya have only just started to build. Mya was guarded to begin with—and for good reason—but no apology or gesture is enough for her to forgive him. Soon after, another clan arrives on their shores. And when Mya spots Lo, a daughter of this new clan, her anger intensifies, adding to the already simmering tension between families. After befriending Lo, Kol learns of a dark history between Lo and Mya that is rooted in the tangle of their pasts.
When violence erupts, Kol is forced to choose between fighting alongside Mya or trusting Lo’s claims. And when things quickly turn deadly, it becomes clear that this was a war that one of them had been planning all along.

I've read a lot of historical fiction, but never PRE-historical fiction. It's kind of surprising actually, because I've long been fascinated in prehistory and the evolution of early humans. I'm definitely looking forward to Ivory and Bone!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these HarperCollins Spring 2016 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the HarperCollins Spring 2016 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

16 comments :

  1. I still haven't read anything by Victoria...not that I don't want too! I need to get on it. This Savage Song sounds great. And wow, three authors for My Lady Jane? That would be interesting!

    All of these look good. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great looking books coming from Harper this spring!! I have both My Lady Jane and This Savage Song and it is all I can do not to throw everything else aside and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for Ivory and Bone too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read This Savage Song - it sounds so good! and I also want to read My Lady Jane - there's a great movie about Lady Jane that I love! Both of those are great pics. Here's my WoW meme

    ReplyDelete
  5. All three have awesome covers and their blurbs are intriguing. Would love to read them all. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Savage Song! At this point, I will read ANYTHING and EVERYTHING Schwab puts out. She is brilliant - I can't wait to see how she blows us away with this one!! These other two are new to me but they both sound fascinating - especially that pre-historical one! Wow, totally original! Thanks for putting them on my radar ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious how Lady Jane will turn out. I've had successes with Brodi and Hand, but not with Meadows. The Ivory and Bone has a gorgeous cover. I'll have to wait and see how that one fairs before picking it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with any of the three authors really, but I'm still curious to see how My Lady Jane turns out. But yes, as always I like to wait until I've seen reviews first!

      Delete
  8. ohh, I'm hearing about My Lady Jane for some time now... I wonder if it's going to be hit or miss in the end...
    For other two I didn't know before so thanks! :)
    Here's my WoW if you'd like to check it out: http://wp.me/p76RED-4B

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these. Especially the Victoria Schwab book. I really love her since reading Darker Shade of Magic last year.
    BTW...did you move back to Edmonton? I can't remember. We've briefly looked into going to Canada for the long Canada Day/July 4 weekend - Really any major city in Canada that we can get reasonably priced plane tickets. DH is particularly intrigued with Edmonton and I'd love to go there again. Although I've also always wanted to go to Toronto. So we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay :D Awesome choices this week Aylee. <3 I have not read the last one, and don't really want to :p But I have read eARCs of This Savage Song and My Lady Jane :D Eee! And I loved both books SO MUCH. I think you will love them lots too :) Happy reading sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious to see how My Lady Jane will be written because it's co-written by three authors, two of whose individual books I've enjoyed. I've also got This Savage Song on my wishlist even though I've only read Schwab's The Near Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Lady Jane sounds so good! I love reading new takes on stories I know in the same way I enjoy retellings of fairy tales or classics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome picks, Eilidh!!! :D HarperCollins really has some AMAZING titles coming out soon, and I can't wait to read all three of these! I'm especially excited for THIS SAVAGE SONG after loving Victoria Schwab's SHADES OF MAGIC series! :D

    Ambur, Burning Impossibly Bright

    ReplyDelete