Home       About Me       Review Archive

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Waiting On Wednesday: Random House Spring 2017 Catalog

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the Random House Spring 2017 Catalog:

Shadow Run by Adrianne Strickland and Michael Miller
Date: March 21, 2017
Add to Goodreads

Nev has just joined the crew of the starship Kaitan Heritage as the cargo loader. His captain, Qole, is the youngest-ever person to command her own ship, but she brooks no argument from her crew of orphans, fugitives, and con men. Nev can’t resist her, even if her ship is an antique.
As for Nev, he’s a prince, in hiding on the ship. He believes Qole holds the key to changing galactic civilization, and when her cooperation proves difficult to obtain, Nev resolves to get her to his home planet by any means necessary.
But before they know it, a rival royal family is after Qole too, and they’re more interested in stealing her abilities than in keeping her alive.
Nev’s mission to manipulate Qole becomes one to save her, and to survive, she’ll have to trust her would-be kidnapper. He may be royalty, but Qole is discovering a deep reservoir of power—and stars have mercy on whoever tries to hurt her ship or her crew.

The synopsis for Shadow Run reminds me a lot of the short-lived TV show Firefly, which I loved. So if Shadow Run is indeed along the same vein, I could see myself very much enjoying it!


Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
Date: March 28, 2017
Add to Goodreads

Sixteen-year-old Anna Arden is barred from society by a defect of blood. Though her family is part of the Luminate, powerful users of magic, she is Barren, unable to perform the simplest spells. Anna would do anything to belong. But her fate takes another course when, after inadvertently breaking her sister’s debutante spell—an important chance for a highborn young woman to show her prowess with magic—Anna finds herself exiled to her family’s once powerful but now crumbling native Hungary.
Her life might well be over.
In Hungary, Anna discovers that nothing is quite as it seems. Not the people around her, from her aloof cousin Noémi to the fierce and handsome Romani Gábor. Not the society she’s known all her life, for discontent with the Luminate is sweeping the land. And not her lack of magic. Isolated from the only world she cares about, Anna still can’t seem to stop herself from breaking spells.
As rebellion spreads across the region, Anna’s unique ability becomes the catalyst everyone is seeking. In the company of nobles, revolutionaries, and Romanies, Anna must choose: deny her unique power and cling to the life she’s always wanted, or embrace her ability and change that world forever.

Blood Rose Rebellion sounds like the standard historical fantasy with court politics that I love. But instead of being set in a fictional world it is set in Hungary, which I find interesting. I haven't heard anything about Blood Rose Rebellion yet, so here's hoping it is well received!


One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
Date: May 30, 2017
Add to Goodreads

Pay close attention and you might solve this.
On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.
Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High’s notorious gossip app.
Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn’t an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he’d planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who’s still on the loose?
Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

Five students walk into detention, but only four come out alive... it's like a Breakfast Club murder mystery! I would be lying if I said I wasn't super curious about One of Us is Lying!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these Random House Spring 2017 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the Random House Spring 2017 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

9 comments :

  1. All three of these look good and I've been seeing "One of Us is Lying" getting a lot of attention lately. Nice choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look interesting. I think I will wait to see what the reviews look like before picking any of them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound pretty good!
    My wow
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2017/03/waiting-on-wednesday-end-of-oz-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO excited for One Of Us Is Lying. I tried to get a review copy via Netgalley but I was denied. :( Ah well, it will be out soon...and on my BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to all of these, but I think I'm most excited about Shadow Run - I can't resist a book about starships and royalty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for awesome picks :D Thank you for sharing Aylee. <3 I hope you will love them all :) I have had an eARC of Shadow Run for ages.. but I hate reading those, haha :p waiting for my hardcover :) So curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all new-to-me titles but you've caught my interest with all of them my friend! Shadow Run especially - even though I've yet to see Firefly! Blood Red Rebellion certainly has a setting I've never encountered which is exciting! And while One of Us is Lying isn't my usual kind of read, I could totally see reading it in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your blog design so much, it always makes me smile :) All three of these sound so interesting! Especially Shadow Run.

    ReplyDelete