Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, March 13, 2017

Muggle Monday: Prisoner of Azkaban Illustrated Edition

It's time for Muggle Monday, in which I highlight a significant piece of news from the Harry Potter franchise. This is somewhat inspired by the Mundane Monday posts by The Mundie Moms.

But let's be real as to why I made up this feature: I just want the opportunity to post something about Harry Potter.


This past week, the artwork for the cover of the illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was revealed:
And it is yet another gorgeous cover to add to the previous illustrated edition releases from artist Jim Kay (see: Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition and Chamber of Secrets Illustrated Edition). Each book has been coming out roughly one year apart (the latest will be out October 3, 2017), but I wonder if they can keep that trend going with the lengthier books in the latter half of the series. It would be a shame if they had to keep the illustrations to a minimum despite the longer lengths.

Here's a taste of the artwork we have to look forward to in the upcoming illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (click to embiggen):

The Knight Bus
Azkaban
Hogwarts
Portrait of Snape (with a Niffler stuffed into a jar?!)

Sadly, I have yet to have the full experience when it comes to these illustrated editions. The prices for each book are steep! And it's hard to justify shelling out the cash willy-nilly when I already own the series. But positive acclaim from fans has convinced me that I must own and experience these for myself someday - just need to save up for them or wait until my birthday comes around.

For those who have read the illustrated editions of Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, what did you think? Is the rest of the artwork as gorgeous as the little teases that Bloomsbury/Scholastic releases?

15 comments :

  1. Yup, that's what holidays and gifting are for! :-)

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so thrilled when I saw the email from Bloomsbury revealing the new cover and artwork! Once again, it is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot wait to have my hands on them. I agree that the prices are a bit too steep for me, so hopefully holidays will help with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, thankfully Jim Kay has been really hitting it out of the park!

      Delete
  3. These illustrations are stunning! I waited until the Christmas sales until ordering my copy of the first book. I'll get the Chamber of Secrets in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep a tag on prices too. $40 is just too much for me to spend on one book at the moment.

      Delete
  4. AH, I love it. I really love the cover - it's probably my favorite. I own and have read the first one and it's just beautiful and really adds a lot to the book. I don't have the second one though, so hopefully I can get it sometime soon. *fingers crossed* I'm really hoping Kay is ahead on the books so that they CAN come out a year apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really love this one too! And I also hope Kay is ahead on the books... OR honestly I wouldn't mind waiting more than a year if it means that he gets more time to do a proportional number of illustrations for the increasing number of pages.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE my illustrated versions! $20 really doesn't seem that high for me (I totally thought they would be like double that price) and I have just been getting them once a year as they come out. The price does get steep if you want to buy them all at once. Luckily, they've been coming out around or on the same day as my birthday, so I've been able to get them as gifts! But if that weren't the case I totally would still have bought them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got them for $20??! Damn, that's amazing. The prices I have seen listed are $40 or occasionally $30. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for those deals...

      Delete
    2. You should look on Amazon! It looks like they are all listed on there for $25 or under :)

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see the difference. You're looking at the American versions which are indeed much cheaper than the Canadian/British versions (not sure why). I could always order off US Amazon, but the shipping and conversion rate would bring me up to $40 again so I guess I'll still just hold out for my birthday or Christmas sales, sigh...

      Delete
  6. I own both of them (I got them as gifts)and they are so incredibly beautiful. It really brings the story to life (even more than the movies I think). I will certainly be adding this one to my Christmas wish list- that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous post Aylee :D I love this cover too. So so pretty. <3 I own the first one, but haven't gotten to buy the second one yet. Soon, maybe :) Hope you will get to buy them all one day. <3 Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel you: I want these so bad but I can't justify buying them when I already own the series (at the moment anyway) The illustrations are GORGEOUS though and the temptation to make them mine is becoming intense LOL! Especially PoA because we all know how much I adore that book ♥ The first illustration you shared of the Knight Bus is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete