Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, March 27, 2017

Review: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Published: March 28, 2017
Pages: 544
Source: For Review from Hachette Book Group Canada
Rating: 4.5 Stars


The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around— and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he's been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance to lose his dream forever.
What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving?
The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries—including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo's dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? and if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

In short: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor is a feast for the imagination.
In some ways Strange the Dreamer is similar to Laini Taylor's previous trilogy, Daughter of Smoke and Bone: there's an epic and bloody war between two races, with star-crossed lovers at its centre. But that's where the similarities end. Strange the Dreamer is as original as it gets in the world of high fantasy fiction. Of course, we could expect no less from the Queen of Imagination, Laini Taylor. Strange the Dreamer is indescribably, beautifully BIZARRE, in the best way possible.

The set-up of the premise of Strange the Dreamer is complex and slow going, and less persistent readers may lose interest. But the payoff of patience is worth it as the story gets truly underway. And once underway the story is, in short, unexpected. Just when you think you know exactly where the story is going, a turning point hits and you're sent spinning off in another direction, again and again, right up until the novel's very unexpected cliffhanger ending.

At the story's heart is affable librarian, Lazlo Strange. He is not the usual hero type, more like the friendly bookish wallflower type (and all the more likeable for it). The old tale of the orphan underdog who dreams and wants more out of life is given new legs by Laini Taylor's adept prose and development. A story with a premise so indescribably strange can really only be done justice by an author whose writing is as lyrical and dream-like as Laini Taylor's. And I eagerly await what she comes up with next in the sequel, The Muse of Nightmares!

Author Links:
Website
Twitter
Goodreads

14 comments :

  1. I'm torn on whether to read this or not! I liked DoSaB but never completed the series because I lost interest over time, and I think the slow pacing was one of the reasons for that. But then I love the premise of this book (a librarian MC!) and if the payoff is worth the slow pacing at the start, I might have to consider it. Thanks so much for your review! I have some thinking to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, yeah it's hard to say in your case... I guess I would still recommend giving it a try because Laini's books are such a unique experience. And maybe try giving Daughter of Smoke and Bone a go again from start to finish - I can promise you you will Days of Blood and Starlight!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds really interesting! I'll add it to GR for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep checking my Amazon order to where it is, it's suppose to be delivered tomorrow. I ordered this one last year but then was SO bummed when the release date got pushed to this year. It's very high on my tbr pile. I only skimmed your review because I'm avoiding everything about this book but I'm very happy that you really liked it, Aylee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, hope it arrives soon and you can dig right in!

      Delete
  4. I really really want to read this one. I loved her Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy. I'm so glad to see you liked this one so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this in my life! I might take on the audio though- I thiiiiiiink. I am glad to see you enjoyed this one so much. Taylor's writing is pretty magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the audio is as good as the audio for the Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, then I would say go for it!

      Delete
  6. Oooh, sounds exactly like my sort of book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds absolutely lovely my friend though I expected no less from Miss Laini Taylor. I'm so happy you enjoyed this! I'll be getting my hands on a copy as soon as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY :D So glad you enjoyed this book a lot Aylee. <3 I'm reading it next, and I cannot wait. So excited :) You are making me more curious. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to know that it took some time for you to get settled into the story. I had a similar experience with The Bone Season and I'm so glad that I stuck with it because I ended up enjoying it and then loved the second and third books in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, I really need to give The Bone Season another go!

      Delete
  10. Ahhh. I'm so excited to read this one. I finally bought my own copy. And I think I'm waiting for the right moment now. I have a feeling I'll want to binge it and need a solid day with now distractions. I'm glad you enjoyed it and called it beautifully bizarre. That sounds like the Laini Taylor I know and love. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete