Home       About Me       Review Archive

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Waiting On Wednesday: HarperCollins Fall 2014 Catalog Part 1

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill of Breaking The Spine in which upcoming, eagerly anticipated releases are highlighted on the blog.

This week, I've chosen to feature a few picks from the HarperCollins Fall 2014 Catalog. I am usually able to narrow down my picks to the Top 4 MOST anticipated books from whichever publisher's catalog I am featuring, but I was utterly unable to this time! HarperColins has some FANTASTIC sounding books coming up for us this fall, so I've decided to split my Waiting On Wednesday Catalog feature into two parts for HarperCollins. Part 1 will focus on books by authors I have read previously and Part 2, in a few weeks time, will focus on books by authors I have not read previously. So without further ado, LET'S GET TO THE BOOKS!!:

Rooms by Lauren Oliver
Date: September 23, 2014
Add to Goodreads

Wealthy Richard Walker has just died, leaving behind his country house full of rooms packed with the detritus of a lifetime. His estranged family—bitter ex-wife Caroline, troubled teenage son Trenton, and unforgiving daughter Minna—have arrived for their inheritance.
But the Walkers are not alone. Prim Alice and the cynical Sandra, long dead former residents bound to the house, linger within its claustrophobic walls. Jostling for space, memory, and supremacy, they observe the family, trading barbs and reminiscences about their past lives. Though their voices cannot be heard, Alice and Sandra speak through the house itself—in the hiss of the radiator, a creak in the stairs, the dimming of a light bulb.
The living and dead are each haunted by painful truths that will soon surface with explosive force. When a new ghost appears, and Trenton begins to communicate with her, the spirit and human worlds collide—with cataclysmic results.

Lauren Oliver - one of my FAVES - will be publishing her first ever adult novel this fall, titled Rooms. I am SO there! Lauren is SUCH a fantastic writer and I would read whatever age genre she writes, be it YA, MG, or Adult. And this one is a ghost story, which I love!


The Fall by Bethany Griffin
Date: October 7, 2014
Add to Goodreads

Madeline Usher is doomed.
She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.
Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.
In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe’s classic The Fall of the House of Usher.

I wasn't a huge fan of Bethany Griffin's Masque of the Red Death, based on the Edgar Allan Poe story, but I am willing to give her novels another shot considering that The Fall of the House of Usher is my favourite of Poe's writing and I'm totally curious in reading Bethany's retelling of it, The Fall. Look how creepy it looks!


Catalyst by S.J. Kincaid
Date: October 28, 2014
Add to Goodreads

This exhilarating, explosive, and heartrending conclusion to the Insignia trilogy brings Tom and his intelligent, passionate, and brave young friends stunning tests and dangerous confrontations and through to an impossible future they could never have predicted.
Tom Raines and his friends are eager to return to the Pentagonal Spire to continue training for the elite Intrasolar Forces, but they soon discover troubling changes: strict new regulations and the revelation that the Spire is under new military control. What begins as an irritating adjustment soon reveals a dangerous shift in reality. Those now in control are aligned with corporate sponsors and their ruthless agendas. And when the military academy begins welcoming new cadets with suspicious neural processors, the first step in a plan with horrifying worldwide ramifications, Tom is desperate to stop it, even if that means keeping secrets from his closest allies.
Then a mysterious figure, the other ghost in the machine, begins fighting against the corporations, but with methods even Tom finds shocking. And when the enemy comes for Tom, how much can Tom endure in the battle to save himself? He must decide if he can still fight when the odds of success seem to be sliding from his grip.

Woot, OH how I have missed the gang: Tom, Vik, Wyatt, and Yuri. THESE GUYS. They are one of my favourite bookish group of friends ever (after the HP trio, obvs). I have no doubt that S.J. Kincaid will bring the action and the lolz in this finale to the Insignia Trilogy, Catalyst!


Empire of Shadows by Miriam Forster
Date: November 4, 2014
Add to Goodreads

Cast out of her family three years ago, Mara turned to the only place that would take her—a school where students train to protect others. But Mara is stunned when guarding a noble girl in the Empire’s capital turns out to be more dangerous than she could’ve imagined. More shocking still, she finds the boy she thought she had lost forever outside the gates of her new home.
Mara knew her life in the dizzying Imperial city would hold dangers. How could she have known that her heart, as well as her life, would be at stake?
Empire of Shadows will take readers on a spellbinding journey into the world Miriam Forster first introduced in City of a Thousand Dolls—a world with a divided society, deadly courtiers, heroic traitors, and deeply laid conspiracies.

When I read City of a Thousand Dolls last year, no sequel was in the works then and I was okay with that because it read well as a standalone. But now that Empire of Shadows has been introduced, I'm definitely up for returning to Miriam Forster's fascinating world!


How about you? Are you waiting on any of these HarperCollins Fall 2014 reads? Are there any upcoming books from the HarperCollins Fall 2014 Catalog that I didn't include here that you feel I should add to my list?

57 comments :

  1. Well, I have to admit, that the first one sounds pretty cool and very interesting. I am definitely going to put it on my wishlist :)
    Thanks for sharing

    Yours
    Smarty

    PS: Can you ever really recover from a Harry Potter addiction? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo excited for Catalyst and Rooms! I mainly want more Vik and Tom they are just so funny!
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rooms has such a wonderful cover! I would definitely like that as a piece of art- the colours and tendrils and everything just mix so well. I like it a lot- though I don't think the book sounds like my sort of thing, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite adore the cover, as well, as I tend to prefer illustrated covers like that. I have to be in the right mood for a ghost story myself!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of YA Lauren Oliver, but I like her MG books and it will be interesting to see what I think about her adult work. I snagged a copy from The fall from Edelweiss. It will be my first book from her and I love the creepy cover. I am reading City of a thousand dolls this month, the covers are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't too keen on the end of the Delirium series, but Delirium itself was my first Lauren Oliver read and I just loved it! And yeah, part of my love of City of a Thousand Dolls was how gorgeous the cover was!!

      Delete
  5. I am super excited for Lauren Oliver's book. I've loved everything I've read by her (Before I Fall, Panic and Delirium) and though I did not continue with the Delirium series, she definitely is one of those writers that is an "insta-buy" for me. I am curious to see how her adult writing works for me. :)
    Thanks for sharing these. I really need to check Mirian Forster from goodreads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read Before I Fall and Panic, but otherwise I've read every other book by her. She's definitely on my list of "must read" authors, as well :)

      Delete
  6. Rooms sounds sorta like The Haunting of Hill House meets Rose Red by Stephen King. Could be really good. The Fall of the House of Usher is one of my favorites as well so naturally I'm looking forward to The Fall as well. Some really great releases coming up from Harper Collins for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've never read any Stephen King (for shame!), so I wouldn't know. But I'm looking forward to The Fall all the same!

      Delete
  7. The Fall and Rooms sounds deliciously creepy! Will definitely look forward to those two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they come out right around Halloween, so it's perfect!

      Delete
  8. I'm super excited for Rooms too Aylee! Anything by Lauren Oliver is something I of course want to read. I can't wait for The Fall either, but the other two I haven't read the first books in the series so I will have to do that before I can pick up the sequels. Glad to know you were a fan though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, Lauren Oliver is a must read author, for sure! As for the other two series that you haven't started yet, I would recommend them if you can find the time!

      Delete
  9. I know someone who would totally love the Fall. I'll recommend it right away. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredibly excited for ROOMS - Oliver is such a talented writer.

    I'm very curious about EMPIRE OF SHADOWS too. I highly enjoyed Forster's first book, so I hope this one will be great too! I do hope those cats will make an appearance...they were awesome!

    Great WOW choices :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh YES!! I do hope the cats will make another appearance and I have to imagine they will because they played such a big part of the first book.

      Delete
  11. Rooms, The Fall and Empire of Shadows are all very high on my wishlist. And I still need to read Insignia but I've heard great things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit that I haven't read anything by Lauren Oliver yet. Not that I don't want too; there are just so many authors I have yet to read. That's awesome she's writing in all age levels. Rooms sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Lauren! There are many MANY authors that I still have to read. I do absolutely recommend her books though - she has something for everyone!

      Delete
  13. I'm really excited for Lauren Oliver's new book as well. I absolutely love her writing style; it's so unique and fantastic. I absolutely loved her Delirium series. S.J. Kincaid's series sounds really good so hopefully I can buy Insignia and the sequel and read them before the release of that book!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I love about Lauren Oliver's writing, as well! S.J. Kincaid is a pretty great writer, as well - there are few authors that can make me laugh like she does!

      Delete
  14. I'm reading ROOMS right now. It's interesting.....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh really?? Cool, can't wait to read your review!

      Delete
  15. All of these look great. I'm really excited about ROOMS. Thanks for sharing. Here is my Waiting on
    Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only read Lauren Oliver's books and had no idea that she would be releasing an adult novel. But I totally agree with you about her being a fantastic writer so even though I don't normally read adult novels, I'll do my best to give Rooms a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo!! I hope it lives up to our expectations for Lauren!

      Delete
  17. Yes! Rooms! I'm really looking forward to that one! I have faith in Lauren Oliver. :) And a book based on some good ol' Edgar Allen Poe? Sign me up! I'll be adding that one to my wishlist for sure ...

    Great picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have faith in her too, even if Requiem was a bit of a letdown. And I'm always keen on a Poe retelling!

      Delete
  18. I enjoyed Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall, but wasn't a huge fan of Delirium (and didn't continue with the series). It'll be interesting to see how she writes for adults. Also, yeah, the cover for The Fall is very Poe-esque – darkly atmospheric and the sepia colouring gives it an old-fashioned flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I STILL need to read Before I Fall - I'm sure I'll love it. And I think her writing will translate well to Adult. And yeah - they definitely got the feel of the cover right for The Fall!

      Delete
  19. Ha! I picked EMpire of SHadows this week too! Even though I'm still waiting on my copy of City of a Thousand Dolls, I couldn't resist. And not just because of the gorgeous cover, I just really think I'll enjoy the series :D Rooms is another one on my TBR shelf, I've only read one single Lauren Oliver book (Liesl & Po) but after reading it all her other books made it on my tbr shelf - her writing is beautiful. I still need to read Insignia though but seeing your enthusiasm for the conclusion here makes me think I should step on it :) And finally, as a HUGE lover of Edgar Allen Poe, I was hugely let down by Mask of the Red Death.I'd seen the cover for The Fall and thought it looked too creepy for me but now that I know it's from the same author, I'll probably pass...unless some early reviews change my mind heh! Freaking fantastic picks here Aylee ^^ hope you get all of these soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I think you'll really enjoy City of a Thousand Dolls too! Because you're a cat person and cats play a big role :)

      Ahh Liesl & Po. What a gorgeous book. I should like to reread it. VERY excited for Rooms!

      Insignia is SUPER fun! Just downright hilarious, so I recommend it.

      I'm definitely going to wait to read some early reviews before deciding to proceed with The Fall because Masque of the Red Death really didn't work for me. But I'm thinking this will be better because it's a standalone and hopefully won't have a TSTL protag? Well, hopefully!

      Delete
  20. I am VERY excited to get my hands on ROOMS, and THE FALL sounds pretty exciting as well, because I loved her other book, MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH. Great picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh excellent, then I should think you will love The Fall!

      Delete
  21. I haven't read the first books of the last two choices, but to the first two: YASSSS. I don't think it's a secret that I'm a huge fan of Lauren Oliver (though Requiem was a little disappointing) so I'm definitely looking forward to Rooms! Also, when I attended her book signing earlier this year she mentioned something about how the book's chapters took place in different rooms, or something like that, and I thought it sounded very unique.

    And I love the cover for The Fall -- both creepy and intriguing at the same time. I've never read anything by Edgar Allan Poe, or anything by Bethany Griffin, for the matter, but the blurb makes the book sound SO GOOD. I haven't been having much luck with HarperTeen titles as of late, though, so I'm really hoping that this isn't another awful book in a pretty cover.

    Gwesome picks, Aylee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was disappointed with Requiem a bit too... but I don't believe I've ever been disappointed with her writing before. She is such a talent! And how cool is that?? What a cool idea, now I REALLY can't wait to read Rooms.

      No luck with HarperTeen?? Say it ain't so! They're always my favourite. I hope you find a title from them that really blows you out of the water! Oh, and you should definitely get into some Poe if you can find the time :)

      Delete
  22. So excited to see that Lauren Oliver is writing another book!!!! Huge fan of her other works. :)The other books on your list look really awesome as well. Got to add those to the never ending to-be read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she a fantastic writer?? SO excited for what she has in store for us.

      Delete
  23. I AM SO EXCITED TO READ ROOMS!!!!!!!!! My friend already read it and he LOVED IT so doubly excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that always increases my excitement tenfold as well!!

      Delete
  24. LOVE the cover of Oliver's adult book and it sounds so atmospheric and deliciously creepy!

    Definitely down for a Poe retelling!!! I teach The Raven and Tell-Tale Heart to 13 year olds and am a total Poe fangirl :)

    Have not checked out Insignia, but it is going on my to-read list right this very minute... or apparently it was already on it! I love that you said there's a great group of friends.

    Thanks for putting new books on my radar!

    Lauren @ Wordy Hughes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, isn't it gorgeous? But I'm always a fan of those illustrated covers!

      It's pretty rare that I get to read a Poe retelling so I'm definitely down for it, as well! I love that you teach his stories to thirteen year olds :)

      The great group of friends is really what makes Insignia stand out - you just don't get such good friendships among groups in books these days.

      Delete
  25. Empire of Shadows sound really good! Though I should probably catch up on the first book first. Sadly, I've never gotten into Lauren Oliver's stories so I'm skipping that one.
    Nice picks, Aylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. City of a Thousand Dolls was a pretty fun debut! It wasn't WOW amazing, but I really enjoyed it. So yeah, I would recommend it!

      Delete
  26. Rooms looks brilliant, I absolutely love the redesigned cover! I can't wait to read it because I love the way Oliver writes.
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Fall is on my list, too!!! :D I'm so excited for that one!!! I just love Bethany Griffin though! :D The other three sound great, too!! I'm definitely going to have to check them all out, especially Empire of Shadows!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well there you go! It's good to hear that you love Bethany Griffin because I feel sure you will love The Fall too, then.

      Delete
    2. I think I will! It also reminds me that I still have to go back and finish the sequel to Masque of the Red Death, her first book! :P

      Delete
    3. Hope you enjoy that one!!

      Delete
  28. Ooh I absolutely can't wait for Rooms and Catalyst especially! I love the cover for Rooms, I don't think I had seen it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lauren has an adult book coming to market? Woah, I'm all over that - I love her, she's such a great writer.

    ReplyDelete