Home       About Me       Review Archive

Friday, May 6, 2016

April Recap: Shadowhunters and The Raven King

April was a quiet month for me which was nice, especially because the upcoming months will be more busy than quiet as I start a full-time position at the museum. I'm definitely excited to finally be employed full time at an institution that I love, but I know I will soon be missing these lazy April weeks of watching TV and reading.


This month, I finally took the time to watch Season 1 of Shadowhunters, based off of The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare:

While a lot of people - myself included - were disappointed with the movie adaptation of the series that was released a few years back, I remained cautiously optimistic that they would do a better job with an episodic adaptation of the series. And thankfully, my optimism was not misplaced - the acting and writing still isn't great and I'm not sure what to make of all the changes that were made from the books... But it was still definitely more watchable than the movie. And is it weird that I was still kind of into it despite all its flaws? I don't know, it's easy entertainment (all episodes were made available on Netflix in Canada) and it's addictive once you get going. I will continue watching when they do a second season. Has anyone else watched Shadowhunters? I'm curious what the consensus is from fans.


Also in April, I was presented with the final instalment of The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater in all its glory:

Even though I only read the first three books last month, the series already has a special place in my heart and I was so sad to see it come to an end already. Nevertheless, I dug right into The Raven King as soon as I had a chance. I won't be posting my thoughts or a review anytime soon because a) I'm still processing it, and b) I'm worried that even my raw reaction might spoil the book for others in some way. But feel free to DM me if you've read it too and want to discuss!


Blog Posts in April

Waiting On Wednesday: Penguin Summer 2016 Catalog
Muggle Monday: Chamber of Secrets Illustrated Edition
Muggle Monday: Fantastic Beasts Teaser Trailer Released
Muggle Monday: Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike #3) Review - 5 Stars
Series Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - 2.5 Stars
Series Review: The Raven Cycle (#1-3) by Maggie Stiefvater - 5 Stars
March Recap: Little House, Raven Cycle, and Easter Weekend

16 comments :

  1. I loved the Shadowhunters series. In fact I had to review it in two parts because there was so much to talk about (and I feel like I still kept way too much to myself). Here's Part II of my Review if you're interested.

    I can't wait for season 2 and I will definitely continue. Great recap. I discovered your blog and started following you this month so I've already seen a few of your posts :)

    Have a great May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, that's great you enjoyed it so much, Crystal!! I thought it was a lot of fun :)

      Delete
  2. I watched the Shadowhunters series with my daughter and we liked it. I haven't read the books yet but she has. I plan on reading the first book now at her urging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, cool that the tv series is your gateway into the book series!

      Delete
  3. I wrote a draft of my review for The Raven King but I'm afraid I'll have to rework it because words can not express my feelings. I'm still reeling to be honest, I spent the 2 days after I finished it rereading my favorite shippy passages and drowning in feels all over again...sigh. I hope you loved it as much as I did too and if you want to chat about it, DM me anytime! I'd love to rehash things with you :) Happy May my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love it! I'm just also reeling still... I'll have to sit down soon and put my feelings into words somehow o.o

      Delete
  4. The first few episodes of Shadowhunters felt rather cringe-worthy but they improved at the progressed so i definitely liked it better than the movie myself.

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely thought the episodes got better as they went on! So that probably bodes well for season 2 :)

      Delete
  5. I've never read any of the Shadowhunter books, so no, I haven't seen the show. Nothing wrong with easy entertainment though! I'm currently reading The Dream Thieves. I loved the first one so I'm hoping I'll love the rest of the series!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, I think you'll love the rest of the series even more than the first book!!

      Delete
  6. I agree about the Shadowhunters show! It's definitely got problems, but it's watchable and much better than the movie. I am actually curious to see how they'll continue on in season 2. And I've only read the first Raven Boys book! Have been meaning to catch up for so long...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for awesome recap Aylee :D Ahhh, yay for reading The Raven King. <3 I haven't read it yet.. sigh. BUT SOON :D Just need to re-read the first books, lol. But oh. Shadowhunters. Shudders, lol :D I'm not sure I will ever manage to read it. Ack. I love the books. I don't want them ruined for me by that awful show, haha :D I don't like all the changes I have heard about :\ Sad face. But anyway :D Glad you have liked it. YAY! Hope May is awesome for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. After the disappointing series finale in book form, I needed to take a much deserved break from the MI world. The Infernal Devices will always be my favorite and I really hope they don't adapt and ruin it. That would just break my heart. Congrats on the full time job, Aylee! That's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how awesome that you're going into a full time job doing what you love, Aylee! Congratulations! I'm sure I've missed out on quite a bit of your news over these past couple months, but I'm so happy for you. Working in a museum sounds like an amazing experience and I definitely hope you enjoy every moment! *cheers you on* I hope you'll post updates semi-regularly? I'd love to hear how you're going and see what you get up to.

    Not having read the Shadow Hunters in book form, but *quite* liking the movie, I'm not so sure about the TV show. I did like the film more than I expected, and enjoyed the actors for the most part (and the music, which I liked quite a lot), but I don't know whether it's a world I'm particularly interested in investing more time in. I'm happy you're enjoying it, though! Especially since I think quite a few people haven't been. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Eilidh!!! I'm commenting on this ridiculously lately...clearly I've been doing a bad job at checking out blogs lately. :P

    I didn't even give the movie a chance...refused to watch it, but I have watched SHADOWHUNTERS and I love it! It definitely isn't perfect, but I find that the flaws you mention kind of just make it more enjoyable. It's definitely cheesy at times, and there have been the occasional bouts of overacting, but overall, I've really enjoyed it. Especially ALEC! I liked him in the books, but I LOVE him on the show, Matthew Daddario captures him perfectly...and has somehow made Alec snarkier, sassier and even better. And Malec...sigh. So perfect. And I wasn't sold on Clary and Jace at first, but they really won me over by the end. And Izzy, it's been fabulous right from the start! I'm loving it, and I agree with you, it's totally addictive! :D I can't wait for season 2!

    THE RAVEN KING!!!! I LOVED IT SO, SO MUCH! :D I was definitely satisfied with it as an ending. :) I'm so glad that you've finally indulged in The Raven Cycle and that' you've loved it!! I'm also up for a book chat if you are! ;D

    ReplyDelete