Home       About Me       Review Archive

Monday, February 27, 2017

Series Review: The Mediator by Meg Cabot

Publisher: Avon Books
Published: 2000-2016
Pages: 2,286
Source: Gifted
Rating: 4 Stars


There's a hot guy in Susannah Simon's bedroom. Too bad he's a ghost.
Suze is a mediator - a liaison between the living and the dead. In other words, she sees dead people. And they won't leave her alone until she helps them resolve their unfinished business with the living. But Jesse, the hot ghost haunting her bedroom, doesn't seem to need her help. Which is a relief, because Suze has just moved to sunny California and plans to start fresh, with trips to the mall instead of the cemetery, and surfing instead of spectral visitations.
But the very first day at her new school, Suze realizes it's not that easy. There's a ghost with revenge on her mind... and Suze happens to be in the way.

The Mediator Series was my first series read of the year and let me tell you, it was a fantastically FUN way to start off my reading year. The series follows Suze Simon who has the ability to see, to talk to, and to beat up - whatever the occasion warrants - ghosts in order to send them on their way to the afterworld. The series was completed after six books in 2005, with an added novella and seventh novel set a decade later in 2016.

Suze Simon is definitely the best part of the series for me. I would want to be BFFs with her if not for the fact that I am convinced that she is WAY too cool for me. This girl has more personality in her pinkie finger than most protagonists have developed over the course of an entire book. Suze's singular sass, nerve, and fashion sense put her right up there with The Greats Buffy Summers and Veronica Mars, in my mind. In fact, the Mediator Series reads a lot like those teen serialized TV shows set in small town California that follow a new story each episode, in addition to being easy entertainment to take in.

This is my first Meg Cabot read - can you believe it? And if all of her protagonists are as fun as Suze Simon, then I am looking forward to reading more from her. I'm curious, which are the Meg Cabot books that I absolutely must read next? I would love recommendations!

Author Links:
Website
Twitter
Goodreads

12 comments :

  1. Huh! This almost sounds like the Charley Davidson series, though that one is adult UF. I've never read Cabot either but when I do I'll certainly start with this series now, after reading your thoughts on the series as a whole. This sounds like a perfect series for me to get into, sooner rather than later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, having never read that series, but that's the impression I get from reviews/summaries. So if you like the Charley Davidson series then you should enjoy this one (and vice versa in my case).

      Delete
  2. This sounds like my kind of series. It sounds like the YA version of the Charley Davidson series that I love SO SO much. I may just give this a whirl. I am SO glad you enjoyed this series, I have also not read anything by Meg Cabot. Maybe this series will be my first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I need to check out the Charley Davidson series sometime! And yeah, I would think you would enjoy this series too!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed this series. I've been curious but never read any of them. I read almost all of the Princess Diaries books when I was a teen, and then I read some of her other YA standalones. I really want to read her adult books. I hear they are really fun!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm yeah I'm curious about her adult books too. I may want to try Princess Diaries next, not sure.

      Delete
  4. This is my favourite Meg Cabot series! I adored these books when I was younger, I reread them so many times that my copies are all falling apart! So glad you enjoyed it (I agree about Suze being an awesome character!). I would recommend the Princess Diaries series and the Airhead series, and also some of Meg's standalone books (Avalon High is my favourite, but she has so many good ones).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! So lucky to have blog friends to give me specific reading recommendations!

      Delete
  5. Yay :D So glad you loved these books so much Aylee. <3 They do sound pretty fun :D Not for me, but so glad you weren't disappointed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you believe I've never read anything by Cabot before??? I met her at a con and she donated a book for an auction I did and she was lovely so I should get on that lol

    Sounds like a fun series.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember you saying that you were going to read this series, and I have to admit I kinda squealed in delight when I saw your ratings on GR, haha. xD

    This series is probably one of my faves by Meg Cabot, one I could re-read and not get tired of. :)

    ReplyDelete