Home       About Me       Review Archive

Friday, January 29, 2016

January Recap: Thesis Completion, Ice Castles, and True Crime Documentaries

As I mentioned in my last life recap, I successfully defended my thesis in December. This month, I finally finished all of the required revisions on my manuscript, got it approved by my supervisor and my department, and now I'm... done. It feels a little surreal and a little anti-climactic, but I guess this means I am officially a Master of Science (whatever that entails). I'm pleased though and I'm very relieved it's over so I can move on to the next stage of my life!


Also in January, I got the opportunity to check out the Ice Castles in Edmonton when I went home to visit with my family. Words cannot express how ethereally beautiful this winter wonderland was. Nor could I do it justice in describing how it was made so here's a Buzzfeed article on it if you're curious.

An ice castle Elsa would be proud of


Also in January, I became mildly obsessed with a couple of true crime documentaries. I never had any interest in this kind of thing before, but ever since I listened to the podcast Serial last year about the inconsistencies surrounding a murder case in 1999, I've become equal parts fascinated and troubled by how our justice systems work, the issues with interrogation methods, the problems with relying on a jury's verdict, etc. Here are two other exceptionally well done true crime docs out there that I would recommend:


Okay well, everyone and their dog has seen Netflix's Making A Murderer by now, but I just want to reiterate how in depth and gripping it is, and also how heartbreaking and frustrating. HBO's The Jinx is equal parts gripping, as well as beautifully filmed, and the ending had me literally gaping in astonishment. In a way, these two true crime documentaries are opposites: in Making A Murderer, a poor and uneducated man is accused of a murder he did not commit and sent to prison unjustly; in The Jinx, a rich and well-educated man is accused of murders he did commit and weasels his way out of prison unjustly. Never has the distinction and benefit of having class and money when taking on the justice system been made more apparent than in these two documentaries...


Well, that's it for me - I hope everyone had a great January!



Posts in January


Life Update Again
My 2015 Bookish Stats
Stacking The Shelves: Holiday Edition
Muggle Monday: It's an exciting time to be a Harry Potter fan again
Waiting On Wednesday: HarperCollins Winter 2016 Catalog
Waiting On Wednesday: Penguin Winter 2016 Catalog
Waiting On Wednesday: Macmillan Winter 2016 Catalog
Review: The Martian by Andy Weir - 4 Stars

15 comments :

  1. Ok so those Ice Castles are an absolute dream! ♥ It looks so magical! If we had something like that close to me, I would be there ALL the time...I don't think I'd ever want to leave!

    HUGE CONGRATS again on becoming a Master of Science - that just sounds so impressive :)

    I've obviously heard about Making a Murder but I haven't seen it yet. I tend to become over-invested and overly emotional with stuff like that so I still haven't decided if it's a good idea that I get into it. I want to though so I probably will cave soon heh. Here's to a wonderful February my friend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to leave!! But I was also very cold...

      Thanks, Micheline!!

      Delete
  2. CONGRATS on your huge achievement, Aylee!!! Those Ice Castles look beautiful. I've heard so much of Making a Murderer, but I don't think it's my cup of tea. I hope you have a great February. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats again on finally being finished with your thesis! I'm a Master of Science too - but mine is a Master of Science in Library Science. haha

    I'm curious about Making a Murderer, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm still trying to finish Jessica Jones. Haven't had a chance to watch much lately but I'm about five or so episodes away from finishing this first season. I really like it. haha

    OMG! Those ice castles are amazing. That's great you were able to go visit them. Wow...seriously. haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Library Science is way cool! Oh, and I loved Jessica Jones!! And Daredevil :)

      Thanks, Lauren!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the official completion of your thesis! That's pretty exciting! That Ice Castle looks amazing. There is something similar here (not as big, I don't think), that I am hoping to get to. I watched the first half of an episode of Making a Murdered, and I couldn't continue- I just really don't like injustices like that. It would have just made me totally angry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yeah... it did make me pretty frustrated -_-

      Thanks, Sara!

      Delete
  5. Awesome recap Aylee :D Thank you for sharing. <3 Ahh, those ice castles are so gorgeous :D So glad you got to go visit them :) And ohh. I have not seen Making A Murderer.. but you are making me curious about it :) Might have to check it out. Sounds like you had a pretty awesome January. <3 I hope next month will be even more awesome for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on finishing your thesis!

    The ice castles look amazing! Is this the first time Edmonton has done it or have you just never been to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this is the very first time! It's been quite successful so hopefully they'll do it in other cities too.

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure how I missed your January recap, Eilidh...but I did. :P I'm seeing it now though, so it's better late than never.

    Congrats again on finishing your thesis! I'm so happy for you and proud of you, Eilidh!!! Well done!!! :D I remember even with my BA, it felt so anti-climatic to be done, too. You work at something for so long and it takes up so much of your time that it feels really strange and surreal for it to just be over. Pretty neat that you have a Masters though now...wooot woot!! :D

    I didn't go see the Ice Castle, but it looks so awesome!!! :D I'm glad you got to see it while you were home, and thanks for sharing the Buzzfeed article, they had a nice assortment of pictures of it!!! :D I bet it was amazing to see in person.

    I still haven't watched Making a Murderer, and I'm not sure if I will. I've had a few people recommend it to me, but I have so many other shows to catch up on that I probably won't watch it. I'm glad you enjoyed it though! :D I just binge-watched SCHITT'S CREEK this past week, and it's hilarious! So silly! It's definitely a new favourite show of mine. :D

    Ambur @ Burning Impossibly Bright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, that's okay. Thanks for your congratulations :D I guess that's just the way degrees and major projects are always going to be, just anti-climactic. I'm just glad it's over and I can move on to another stage of my life now!

      And I'm thinking they'll for sure do the ice castle again next year - it was so popular this time around! They were playing an instrumental version of the Frozen soundtrack when I was there :)

      Oh cool, I'll have to give Schitt's Creek a go sometime!

      Delete
  8. Well, I'm late, but congratulations on your great achievement!

    Those castles look beautiful and make me want to visit Canada again.

    I'm not much into crime, but you have me curious!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete